UNITY journalists for diversity is a strategic alliance that:
2) Aggressively challenges the industry to staff its organizations at all levels to reflect the country’s diversity.
We envision a nation in which newsrooms are inclusive and reflect the communities they cover, and where people of color hold positions of influence. To achieve this we will conduct research, convene people and advocate change by offering attainable solutions to the industry.
- To raise awareness and participation of the media industry in understanding the diverse cultures represented by the UNITY alliance members.
- To increase representation of people of color at all levels in the nation’s newsrooms.
- To increase and broaden news coverage focusing on people of diverse backgrounds, and to dispel stereotypes and myths about race, ethnicity, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- To become recognized as the principal national alliance of journalism professionals advocating for diversity and multiculturalism in the news media.
- To create a self-sustaining organization with a diversified financial base that complements, and does not compete with alliance partners.