In 2012, the UNITY NewU program held a two-day startup Camp for those who attended the conference in Las Vegas. For the first time under UNITY’s auspices, successful business entrepreneurs met with current or former journalists who were interested in starting a company. During our three day camp, entrepreneurs convened in a large room with fellow start-up CEO’s who are current or former journalists, angel investors and business coaches.
Our 2012 speakers included:
- Sumaya Kazi, CEO and Founder of “Sumazi.com”
- Bob Huh, Foinder and CEO of “Chezburger.com.”
- Harry Lin, Exectuive-in-Residence at Idealab
- Latoya Peterson, Editor and Co-Founder of “Racialicious.com.”
- Natalia Oberti Noguera, Founder and CEO of “Pipeline Fellowships”
- William Crowder, Managing Partner at “Dreamit Ventures
- Tim Reese, Co-Founder, National Minority Angel Network.
Finally, NewU seeded three companies in 2012. Since NewU was launched in 2012, we have seeded 10 companies between $3,300 to $10,000 each.
The 2012 seed comapnies are lead by:
- Amy Stretten, CEO and Founder of “Native Remix.”
- Jacqueline Gil, CEO and Founder of “iColor.”
- Victoria Lapoe, “Emerging Voices“