UNITY: Journalists for Diversity, Inc. is a strategic alliance advocating fair and accurate news coverage about diversity — especially race, ethnicity, gender identity and sexual orientation – and aggressively challenging the industry to staff its organizations at all levels to reflect the nation’s diversity.
The journalism industry has an obligation to deliver a complete, fair and representative picture of the communities and world in which we live. In order to achieve this, diversity in the newsroom and in coverage is fundamental.
We envision a nation in which newsrooms are inclusive and reflect the communities they cover, and where people of color hold positions of influence. To achieve this we will conduct research, convene people and advocate change by offering attainable solutions to the industry.
- To raise awareness and participation of the media industry in understanding the diverse cultures represented by the UNITY alliance members.
- To increase representation of people of color at all levels in the nation’s newsrooms.
- To increase and broaden news coverage focusing on people of diverse backgrounds, and to dispel stereotypes and myths about race, ethnicity, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- To become recognized as the principal national alliance of journalism professionals advocating for diversity and multiculturalism in the news media.
- To create a self-sustaining organization with a diversified financial base that complements, and does not compete with alliance partners.